Thursday, June 30, 2011

SOMETHING ABOUT PREGNANCY TURNS ME INTO HOMER SIMPSON


Some things are worth documenting. A craving for a donut while pregant? Not quite ground breaking blog material. Until you hear the hilarity of my husband regarding the matter. I love that man.

Backstory:
I haven't had many intense cravings throughout this pregnancy. And definitely no weird ones like pickles and ice cream and such. So, no cravings for me...

...until two weeks ago. (dun dun DUN!!!)

Then it hit me. No gradual onset or mild to moderate desire. This was a full blown craving. I wanted a donut, and I wanted it bad.

Think Veruca Salt from Willy Wanka: "But Daddy - I want an oopa loompa right now!" Only substitute daddy with "John" and oompa loompa with "white cake donut with vanilla frosting and rainbow sprinkles"

It's a very specific craving...not just any donut will do. lol

Such has been the scene at our home for the past few weeks. "I want a donut" is said probably about 4-5 times a day at least.

Now before you think me lazy for not simply going out and buying the cause of my craving and so you most assuredly don't think my husband horrendously insensitive to my donutual needs...its not that we haven't tried to get a donut. But we run into a few problems. The closest normal donut shop (a Dunkin' Donuts/Baskin Robbins combo) is a 15-20 minute drive on the interstate. Winchell's (my favorite donut shop growing up) is not even located in Louisiana. Boo. As far as I can tell - there are no other good/normal donut shops around these parts. And I want one type of donut and one type of donut alone. White cake. Vanille frosting. Rainbow sprinkles. Talk about Bliss!

What's a pregnant girl to do?

Well, this morning said pregnant girl sent John downstairs at our office to get a donut from the coffee shop in the building. Only problem? No donuts.

What?!

Just Danish. Lame. Everyone knows that a Danish is in no way, shape or form a donut. I mean, if the danish fought a cake donut in a cage fight - the cake donut would totally kick the flaky/dainty danish's cream cheesy butt. The cake donut has so much more depth, texture, and satisfyingly sinful sugariness that the danish just intrinsically lacks. Sorry Danish - you lose. Raise your sprinkles high in triumph oh dearest donut - you win!!

After John bought us both (yes - the husband loves my cravings and fully participates with them so far) a cherry cream cheese danish, he proceeded to ask me the following via IM from his office:

"How is it?...If my knee had been there, would you have grabbed it?"

Disclaimer: You see, when something is TRULY delicious...I mean, amazingly satisfying and a 10 on my food rating scale - I grab John's leg, close my eyes and chew as slowly as possible. Call it my Ratatouille moment if you will. And this is what we've been waiting for with the donut craving in question...

So after I assured John that I'd have whole heartedly grabbed his leg out of pure romantic attraction...I admitted that the danish which he'd hunted and gathered (walked down an escalator to buy) was no where near the "grab your leg delicious" level. Sorry baby - but thanks all the same.

To which that determined man of mine said (and here's my favorite part):

"Perhaps tomorrow I will wake up early enough to find and kill a donut mother and her cubs for me to bring home and eat with you"

HAHA!

I lost it. Thank you dear husband for that little tidbit. It almost made me forget about my craving for a minute. Almost.

Thus, we the Sigetys will be on a mission this weekend. When Saturday rolls around we are driving to Dunkin Donuts and demanding a white cake donut with vanilla frosting and rainbow sprinkles. We won't take NO for an answer!

And if anyone happens to be in the New Orleans area and would like to join us on our outting - please let me know! Unless it would be awkward for you to see me grab John's leg. In which case, you better not come...cause I'm dead set on this being the best donut I've ever had in my entire life. In which case, John's leg will most assuredly be grabbed.

Craving - consider yourself warned. Prepare to be satisfied!!!

2 comments:

  1. You are hilarious! I totally understand the Ratatouille moment! Those are the best! Good luck on your donut adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine was always a fried egg and toast...Zac perfected his ability to make them...if I cooked it it made me want to puke...how convenient.

    I love it! You guys are really funny! Although I don't think I get John's comment, am I dumb. I think I need it explained, but that will probably take away from the funniness...darn.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...