Thursday, September 30, 2010

A CHOICE LIFE


My good friend Adam recently wrote a blog post about decision-making. He talked about how some people rely FULLY on answers from God in their every-day mundane decisions. It’s a very insightful statement on agency and God’s involvement in our lives. This post here on Present Bliss was inspired by what he wrote – so, for context and a great read, check out his blog at the following address:

http://adamloveskristen.blogspot.com/2010/09/soup.html

I couldn’t help but think about these scriptures while I read Adam’s post:

D&C 58:26-29

26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.
27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;
28 For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.
29 But he that doeth not anything until he is commanded, and receiveth a commandment with doubtful heart, and keepeth it with slothfulness, the same is damned.


Sometimes I think we forget the fact that “the power is in [us].” But God expects us to USE this power. The war in heaven was fought for the very purpose of preserving and ensuring our agency. I highly doubt that God would stand firm enough for the cause of agency in the pre-mortal life to let a war be fought over it, and then decide it wasn’t of much worth here in this world. God is the same yesterday today and forever. We fought for the ability to have agency then – and it is our privilege and responsibility to use it wisely now.

Currently I’m teaching a seminary (scripture-study) class at my church. Three students and I are making our way through the Doctrine and Covenants (a book of scripture that tells about the organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and is a book of continuing revelation from God to man). As a teacher, I’m learning that I can either tell my students something, or I can help them discover something for themselves. When I simply tell them information, they learn far less than when I help and guide and prompt them in making discoveries and forming ideas of their own. They remember the lesson longer when they discover the information for themselves. Besides, if all I do is tell them something, the learning stops when the class ends. But if I teach them how to discover and find answers in the scriptures – I’ve helped them develop a skill that can bless them for a lifetime. (Sounds like the whole give someone a fish or teach them to fish idea, huh?) God will always teach us to fish rather than simply feed us.

This teaching experience has helped me understand more about life and about God as our ultimate teacher. Think of how the Savior taught – Parables. They were stories that allow us to discover meaning on our own, rather than simply be told what to do. That’s not to say that God and Jesus Christ will never reveal or declare a teaching directly. On important matters they can be and usually are divinely direct. But in what Adam was talking about in his post (the daily decisions of lesser importance) I think God wants us to do our best to discover and answer our problems as best we can. That’s how we learn – by exercising our agency. God is there to softly guide and teach, but not to immediately give us answers the moment that we ask. That would be feeding our immediate hunger for knowledge without teaching us of how to feed ourselves in the future.

I like to think of God as a coach. He decides when to put us in the game (ie: send us to earth). Then we do our best to perform and make choices about what we should do while we’re in the game. The coach (God) is constantly watching and cheering us on. We are the ones making decisions as we strive to win the game. Our coach will encourage us when we do what’s right and give instruction when we do something wrong. When it comes to vital plays in the game or moments of utmost importance, the coach will usually recommend a specific play or course of action from the playbook. (ie: we can find guidance to make our decisions at important times in our lives by turning to life’s playbook…the scriptures). But the main role of our coach in the game of life is to teach, support and give encouragement as we try to defeat our opponent by wisely playing the game.

I can ask God to guide, confirm, and strengthen my decisions, but to ask him to make my decisions would defeat the purpose of life. Agency is a powerful gift, and one which I am eternally grateful for.

“…Choose you this day whom ye will serve…but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:15

6 comments:

  1. I've always loved the example of Nephi when faced with a broken bow and on the verge of starvation (no soup!). He went to his father, only AFTER fashioning a new bow with which to hunt. After Lehi's prayer and direction from the ball (and chastening because of his murmuring), Nephi was able to locate food and feed his family (buy soup). Nephi didn't just wait for the Lord to provide, he was active - the power was in him - in seeking a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way Kim, I love your blog. You have amazing insight! Lucky Seminary students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ellen! What a great example. I haven't ever thought of Nephi's story in that light before. He acted, and then the Lord strengthened his efforts to bless not only his life, but the lives of his family members too. The influence of one faithful person really can do so much! Sounds like you should come teach seminary with/for me! haha

    John's getting pretty excited to come see you guys this weekend. He was dancing around the living room about it this morning ;) Maybe I'll see if he can pack me as his carry-on item for the trip. Miss you and love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nephi also went into Jerusalem to do something to get the plates, "not knowing beforehand the things [he] should do." And when the Lord commanded him to build a ship, he said, "Where can I get ore to make tools to build it?" He was a great example of taking initiative, and not waiting for the Lord to command in all things. A great example of a self-motivator.

    And Kim, thanks for your eloquent extension of my clumsily-written argument. :) Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adam, clumsily-written? No way! I thought you worded it perfectly...honest! Definitely inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this post. Especially since we are trying to make the choice of where to live. God isn't going to say "Zac you need to apply at such and such clinic in Boise, Idaho." We have to take the initiative and find places that will work for our family and then pray for guidance after we've done what we can do. Your blog is always a treat. (this is Melissa, I just am signed on as ZAc by accident. :))

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...